When we watch an old movie, we often see how a vampire fear just because the victim put garlic on her neck. And garlic is considered as the savior of mankind from vampires. We often see such dramas, don't we? But, is it true that garlic can be beneficial to mankind? Since 4000 years ago, it has been believed that garlic could be a "physician" who can cure various diseases. Egyptian society is the first race who discovered the efficacy of garlic.
The efficacy of garlic spreads and being recognized by the whole world. Russian also believed that garlic is a substitute for antibiotics, the so-called Russian Penicillin. The Greeks and Romans believed garlic as a cure for leprosy and asthma. In the world war between 1914 - 1918, French troops took garlic as a wound healer.
Research continues until this day. Society recognizes that garlic is a nutritious plant that's often used in alternative medicine. Subsequent research found that garlic contains more than 100 biologically-chemicals useful for the body. Here are the properties of garlic that has been recognized by scientists.
- Consuming 600 mg of garlic daily will lower blood cholesterol levels drastically.
- Garlic has antibacterial characteristic and effective for treating viral warts and other skin problems.
- Garlic is also an aphrodisiac that can enhance the blood circulation.
- Garlic is beneficial for diabetics, because it can regulate blood sugar levels by increasing insulin release.
- Antibacterial and anesthetic characteristics in garlic help to cure toothache.